Saturday 22 February 2014

I'm a proper artist! Or am I?

My Zip, photo below, has been selected for "a new programme of open displays and talks at the Council House for practicing and aspiring artists living in Plymouth and surrounding area."  

I'm giving my talk next Wednesday, 26th February, between 12 and 1pm.  Everybody is welcome.  The Council House is next to the Civic Centre at the southerly end of Armada Way.



Last term Helen Creedy and I used my Zip for a joint presentation in our Context of Practice Course, reviewing various ways of valuing works of art in general and my Zip in particular.  

As I said in the presentation, it's not for sale but for this exhibition, I put a value of £5,000 on it for insurance purposes (and then joked that I might steal it).

Anyhow, here's a link to download the exhibition catalogue:

http://councilhouseart.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/council20house20open20art.pdf

This is the first time I've had something I've made selected for an exhibition (apart from "Obscenity Number One") and I feel honoured to be in the company of real artists.  I feel as though I could, tentatively,  call myself an artist now - a significant milestone that Grayson Perry remembered in one of his Reith Lectures.

You may recall that I said I wouldn't display statements in the art manifesto that I produced for homework on our course last November.

So, shock horror, I have a statement in the exhibition catalogue!  It reads: 
I’m a mature student doing a BA in Contemporary Craft at Plymouth College of Art. My main focus is sculpture in wood, ceramics, glass and metal. 
I hope to become known for creating art in public places. I’ve already made a start by winning a competition to design the gates of Devonport Column, a Grade 1 listed monument in Plymouth. 
Just recently, I won another competition, this time to paint my design on one of the giant fibre-glass sun fish in the “Making Waves” project – a tourist trail around Plymouth. 

My sister Sonia writes: "You can't be a proper artist because your statement is easily understood."

No comments:

Post a Comment