Wednesday 21 May 2014

Marcel Duchamp, Take 2

I've read a lot more of "What are you looking at" by Will Gompertz and come to the conclusion that Marcel Duchamp deserves a lot of the respect that's heaped upon him with regards to his role as the founding father of modern art.

By the same token, I've started to think that Julian Spalding must be the whacky one.  If you recall one of my earlier posts, Spalding took the view that Duchamp wasn't a particularly good artist and had managed to hoodwink people into believing he was important.

Now I've read that Duchamp was one of the key advisors of Peggy Guggenheim.  She bought a lot of art on his say-so, and it was Duchamp that gave her ideas for some of her exhibitions.

Tick tock tick tock

Actually, time has passed since I began this post and last night (May 26) I finished reading "What are you looking at" and my opinion of Gompertz has changed somewhat.   I've become a bit more sceptical.   He's clearly a huge fan of Duchamp and sees his influence in nearly every bit of modern art he looks at.

So I think I'll halt this post now and write a new one about Gompertz and his book.


No comments:

Post a Comment