Monday 6 July 2015

Essay Topic?

I have to write an essay in the next academic year at college, and I've been toying with what it should be about.

I think we're meant to do some naval gazing stuff, which I would struggle with,  so I've been thinking of doing a journalism piece on the marketing tactics of a few artists.

Example 1: Anselm Kiefer.  I went to the exhibition of his work in the Royal Academy last autumn (see previous post) and just recently I've been looking at documentaries about him.   His work sells for huge amounts of money which gives him the freedom to do whatever he likes - which in his case, includes messing about with construction projects with no commercial result.  It's great!  I wish I could do it!  But I'm puzzled by a couple of things.  First, how did he get into a position of being able to sell his work for such huge sums?  Second, who the heck buys his work?  Most of it is enormous - it wouldn't fit in a normal size room - and it's fragile - moving it would probably damage it.

Example 2: Damien Hirst.   Just been reading this article in the Guardian about Hirst creating his own gallery and in a way, going back to what he was good at - curating.  In the past, this was curating other YBAs.  Now it looks as though part of his motivation is to halt the slide in value of his own work.

Example 3: Banksy.   I really love his stuff and I like his supposed attitude.   However, he's also managed to make his work valuable, which in turn has enabled him to take on projects that wouldn't be financially viable.

Example 4:  Grayson Perry.  In this case, I think I prefer his observations and analysis of social conditions more than his actual art.  I like his tapestries but I'm not so keen on his pots and the jury's still out on his "chapel".

I'm not sure whether this would work as an essay topic.  What do you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment